Wednesday 5 February 2014

Stage 2- Phalloplasty - Part 2



The next day, another surgeon in the operation came to see me. I was not able to pick up his name. He check the operation sites and my drains and catheter. He said everything looks well and I would discharge today if I want. 

I will be going back home with the drain and catheter. I will have to get the urethra (penis) catheter and the drain remove one week after the operation and the suprapubic catheter three weeks after the operation. Due to Christmas and New Year holiday, I had to wait for 4 weeks before removing my suprapubic catheter. The suprapubic catheter will need to be removed in London Clinic while the urethra catheter and drain can be remove either by district nurse or my GP nurse.
The nurse that looking after was very nice, he prepared lots of catheter bag for me to bring home. He gave me about 5 leg bags, 4 night bags and a few other dressings. I then told him I would like to stay for another day just to make sure everything is okay before I leave the hospital.
I ate and drink normally on the second day onwards. The physiology girl came to see me on the second day as well and walk with me to make sure that I can walk okay. I felt pain around the vagina wall and slightly sore at my bottom area. 

My penis was tape upwards and it have to stay that way for one week until the drain and urethra catheter is remove. 

I was discharge on the second day after my operation. I was again given one leg bag and one night bag from the nurse as she wasn’t aware that I have been given a few the day before. 

**This is where you need to be careful, if I wasn’t given those bags on the day before I would have requested for more as this bags will need to be change regularly to avoid infection. 

Now, the nurse that was in charge of my discharge is again the same nurse who discharge me when I had my stage 1. She just bad at doing dressing and did not re-dress them according to how it was in the first place. She is a very nice person but I think she is just bad in her job… Anyway, after changing all the dressing and getting a new vacuum bottle for my drain, I left the hospital around 12pm to catch my train back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment