Tuesday 3 December 2013

Prescriptions - post surgery care

This entry is specially for those that is UK residences where you pay for your prescriptions. Post surgery I have given prescriptions to buy more dressings and antibiotic. I would have been very broke if I have to pay for each of the prescription. I did some research on Prescription Prepayment Certificate as I have came across it few years ago when I was searching for the best way to pay for my hormones.

Basically how PPC works.
You pay

£29.10 for a three months certificate
or
£104.00 for a 12 months certificate.

Following is the link about the PPC.
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx

Within the valid date, you can have as many prescriptions you need. Which mean if you have more than 4 prescription in 3 months it will be worth it to get a PPC as 4 x £7.85 = £31.40.

The PPC can be back dated one month. So it is not a hurry to buy the PPC before / once you are discharge from the hospital. If you wasn't prescribe dressing you might not need to PPC. However I think it will be probably worth getting it as most of us need to ask for more antibiotics.

I was only discharge with one mepitel and no other dressing, while my practice nurse run out of the dressing that I need. I was being prescribed and told to order them as it will be quicker.

I end up request for my GP to prescribe me some Nebido and some other stuff. I make sure that I get the maximum out from the PPC. I was luckily that my GP is very nice and understanding. He prescribe me some moisturizer, bio-oil and etc. So, think about what else you will need and get it prescribe while your certificate is still valid.

Back dated the PPC - Make sure you asked for FP57 receipt before you have the PPC. I was luckily that I rang up the pharmacy and asked if I still can claim it as I did not ask for FP75 at the time I paid. The pharmacist told me that she will get it sorted for me. I also have one prescription which I get from boost pharmacy without asking the FP75. Boost pharmacist/assistants gave me the FP75 form to fill and refund me when I gave them the receipt. I knew some of the pharmacy reluctant/ will not  can't refund if you did not ask for FP75 when you paid for prescription. If you forget to ask for that, called up the chemist as ask if they can do something about it, if not, do not back date your PPC!

No comments:

Post a Comment