Friday 9 August 2013

Day 1 - 1st stage thigh free flap phalloplasty


I have been given green light for lower surgery since February 2011 however due to some reasons I have to put it off until recently. I will write about it later. Below is my experience going through my 1st stage phalloplasty. I have opt for Radial Artery Phalloplasty (thigh free flap phalloplasty) by Mr Christopher from St Peter's Andrology Centre London.

Day 1
Admission to hospital for 1st stage phalloplasty
After researching and reading through other people recommendation and experience, I brought with me some toiletries, towels, comic books, playbook, one t-shirt, one shirt, jumper, one tracksuit bottoms, baby wipes and slipper. 

The St John and St Elizabeth hospital provides shower gel, shampoo, towels and etc. So if you are reading this for surgery preparation, I would advice only bring a nightwear for your first night, slipper and something to entertain yourself. You only need to wear your own clothes when you arrive the hospital and leaving the hospital. The rest of the time you will be wearing hospital gown. 

I arrived at the hospital about 6 o'clock in the evening. I then spoke to receptionist at main reception, after through the files and system, I was told to take the lift to second floor to St Francis ward. I went in to my room, feeling really weird as I always travel and stay in hotels. After 5 minutes or so, a nurse came in and speak to me. She check with me my details and place a tag around my wrist. After that she take my blood pressure reading, weight, height and ask me those regular pre-operation questions. She also measured my leg to get the right size legging to reduce the risk of getting blood clog.

I then told to fast stating from midnight. I will need to fast for 8hrs before the surgery. I was also told that Mr C would come and speak to me tomorrow morning before the surgery. I asked her roughly what time I'll be back in my room as my girlfriend will only come and visit me tomorrow, she said the surgery might finish around 3 / 4 o'clock but I'll have to stay in recovery room due to being on general anesthetic for long hours, so I'll be back to my room around 5/6 o'clock. 

Around 6.30 pm, a guy came in to take the menu card from me. I quickly place my order and told him I would like to have the dinner now. He refuse to serve me food as he thought that I was going into the theater tonight. I then told him that I am only going to the theater tomorrow morning and he bring my dinner over after a while.

Around 7.20pm, a doctor came in to do my admission check-in. He asked those usual health questions again, then check my pulse and breathing. We chatted a while regarding the surgery as he is curious about it. He did mention that I could choose not to answer him if I'm not feeling comfortable at all.

Then around 7.45 another guy came in and took 4 tubes of my blood for some blood test. I was then left alone for the rest of the night.

PS: If the nurse ask you where would you prefer the wrist band, make sure you place it on your right wrist instead of left because the drips will fix on your left hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment