Wednesday 7 August 2013

Introduction

I am 27 this year. I was born in Malaysia, a lovely multicultural country which are being badly corrupted at the moment. In Malaysia, the government does not specifically mention that transition is legal nor illegal. However if you are Muslim, then under the national Sharia Law (Muslim religous law), it is forbidden. You can chose to start your treatment therapy or operations if you have to money. However you could not change your gender and name on birth certificate, Identity Card and Passport. They are some who manage to change their name legally by some mean, there were few cases which a transgender person have challenge the court to get their name or gender change. However the last outcome in 2011 was denied. 

Currently I am living and working in the UK and have transition since 2009. One year after I came to the UK. I have all my official documents in my correct name and gender which I am very pleased but there are consequences with it.

I started my hormone therapy in Feb 2009, had mastectomy surgery (chest reconstruction surgery) in March 2010, full hysterectomy (ovaries and uterus removal) in Jan 2012 and just had my 1st stage phalloplasty (creation of penis).

I was writing down my day to day experience from this surgery and though I could do it with a blog. I had had one blog previously however I fail to maintain it and I have close it down. Hopefully I will find some time and put more effort into this blog.

My journey was never easy. In a way, it was not a choice for me to transition. My friends were very supportive and some told me they envy my 'braveness' for opting to transition. I don't know how to react sometimes, because it sound like you are telling a pregnant women that she is brave to go through the pregnancy and give birth.. So, it is does look like it's an option to transition or not, however it is something that have to be done. I hope you are able to understand what I a trying to explain here.

I hope that my friends back home will start to learn and adapt my new name and using the correct pronounce when identifying meas it meant a lot for me.

1 comment:

  1. I am also from Malaysia. Im only 18 this year and yeah im waiting for the day i can finally go out from this country and start my transition. I always search for trans people post op so i can feel better and feel like i have a chance to do it too. I was very shocked when i read that u were also from malaysia. Im also grateful that i found this blog. It gives me a lot of hope. I will not give up. I will finish college and after i graduate i will go work abroad and start my transtion. Thank you for sharing your story. It helps. Im a Malaysian muslim. Which also mean.. This country not safe for me to be myself aka to transtion

    ReplyDelete